Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The American Dream & My IMDB Resume

I created an Internet Movie Database (IMDB.com) resume for myself. It costs $50/year to add your resume to their service if you want to try for other acting jobs. Then you can be on the Internet.
I dreamed I was in a Hollywood movie,
And that I was the star of the movie.
This really blew my mind,
The fact that me, an overfed, long-haired, leaping gnome,
Should be the star of a Hollywood movie...Hmm
But there I was...
— The Animals, Spill That Wine
In fact, you can post your own resume on the web just about anywhere and put your name in the credits.

I am getting myself listed on IMBD.com because I’d love to consider myself an actor. Because of Franklin, I do not have to pretend. Or to let my dream only exist in my imagination. I am an actor.

The Rehearsal already won an award. I saw my face on the big screen. I have about a 2 second appearance and a credit as Bag 098.

Again, just yesterday, Franklin shot an interview for a movie based on Greg Mortensen’s biography, the book Three Cups of Tea. We shot it in 20 minutes. We are going to enter that into another contest.

So I encourage you all to whip out your own credit cards and get an IMDB.com resume. Build your career. If acting is your dream, make the dream come true.

Speaking of making your dreams come true, consider Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture. He passed away due to pancreatic cancer. You never know when you might succumb to destiny.

So, if you have time, list out your dreams. Then do what you can to make them real.

For me, today, I want to be a teacher. I want to be an actor. So I am getting my requisite information for my teaching credentials. I called some of my old high school teachers from decades ago to thank them. In particular, Bruce Degen, who illustrated the Magic Schoolbus series. He was my high school illustration teacher. I spent a few hours browsing through his life. It was glorious to remember him as my teacher, and knowing he had a dream of his own. He went on to illustrate over 40 children’s books. He had a television series. Has a lovely family in Connecticut. Now that’s a pretty good life story.

So today, I am living my American Dream. So that one day I can look back like Randy did, and like Bruce is living day-by-day, and think, “You know, Pete... This is some pretty good stuff!”

Enjoy the day! Onwards to adventure!

-Peter.

No comments: